- There is a need for a compact, truly portable source of gamma rays for non-destructive inspection of concrete structures to determine whether there is corrosion, creep or other long term damage accumulation inside. Applications would include non-destructive inspection of hard-to-reach places in buildings, particularly containment structures in nuclear power plants, quality control of high pressure vessels, steam turbines and others.Euclid BeamLabs LLC is developing an X-ray source based on an ultra-compact accelerator. This is a portable, virtually hand held device that produces high energy gamma rays that can penetrate deep into materials to satisfy inspection needs. For an overview, see Ultra-Compact RF Accelerator for Industrial Applications.
- Euclid has developed high current thermionic and photocathode-based electron sources with applications to THz radiation sources and basic research.
- Euclid’s expertise includes measurements and simulations ofdielectric materials in high radiation environments, likecharging, change in dielectric properties under high radiation doses, and ageing.Applications include mitigation of radiation induced problems with accelerators, internal spacecraft electronics (deep charging), dielectrics to be used in fusion and fission reactors for energy production, single event upsets in semiconductor components, etc.
- Euclid Beamlabs’ capabilities include theoretical studies of short electron bunch interactions with RF structures and development of applications for novel computer architectures.
- Advantages of nitrogen incorporated ultrananocrystalline diamond. Research by Euclid Beamlabs in collaboration with ANL.